“There really is no normal day. Each adoption is unique unto itself — each has its own challenges, perks, highs and lows… Every day is a journey, and that’s one of the great things about this line of work.”
The adoption of your son or daughter is one of the most important experiences you will have in your lifetime, and you need an adoption professional who will take your adoption journey as seriously and personally as you do.
With more than 20 years of experience in Kansas City adoption law, Kevin Kenney understands that no two adoptions are alike, and he strives to provide each adoptive family the individual care, services and support they need to ensure their adoption is secure and successful.
Here, learn more about the domestic adoption process and the services Kevin offers to help hopeful parents adopt a baby in Kansas City.
Kevin’s Services for Private Adoption in Kansas City
“When you show up to court for a final adoption hearing, oftentimes the family will bring older siblings, grandmothers and grandfathers, friends and family. You really want it to be a perfect, happy day, and the way to ensure that happens is to work with an experienced adoption attorney who will have all of the Is dotted and Ts crossed.”
From the advice and education you need during your initial consultation to the finalization of your adoption in court, Kevin Kenney provides all of the legal services necessary to ensure your adoption day is one of the happiest of your life. He provides the following services to help you complete your newborn adoption in Kansas City:
- Providing education about the adoption process: When you contact Kevin, you will have the opportunity to schedule a free consultation to learn more about domestic adoption in Kansas City. This initial meeting gives you an opportunity to ask important adoption questions and get to know each other before beginning the adoption process.
- Filing the adoption petition: When you are ready to begin the legal adoption process, Kevin will file your signed adoption petition, along with the birth parents’ consents and other required affidavits, with the court.
- Obtaining necessary court orders: Kevin will guide you through the process to obtain an order of temporary custody, which allows your baby to be discharged from the hospital and placed with your family before the adoption is finalized.
- Terminating parental rights and obtaining consents: Every adoption involves the termination of parental rights for the baby’s birth parents. Kevin can provide the paperwork your baby’s birth mother needs to legally consent to the adoption and can serve notice of the adoption proceedings to the baby’s birth father, if necessary. If a putative father challenges the adoption, Kevin will represent your family during trial to terminate his parental rights.
- Administrative procedures for interstate adoptions: For families adopting across state lines, Kevin will ensure your adoption complies with the Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children (ICPC) and all other state and federal laws.
- Finalizing the adoption in court: Following a post-placement supervision period with a caseworker, the legal adoption process ends with a finalization hearing. Kevin will accompany your family to the hearing to formally finalize the adoption and celebrate your newly completed family.
- Obtaining a new birth certificate and social security number: After the adoption, Kevin can assist you with obtaining a new birth certificate and social security number for your baby.
- Referrals for additional adoption services: Adoption is not only a legal process — it is also a social and emotional one. To assist you with other aspects of your adoption, such as finding an adoption opportunity with a pre-screened birth mother or completing the adoption home study, Kevin can refer you to one of the full-service adoption agencies he partners with.
How to Adopt a Baby in Kansas City
When you decide to work with Kevin to complete your newborn adoption in Kansas City, he will be available to guide you through every step of the adoption process. While no two adoptions look alike, the process generally includes the following steps:
- Determine that adoption is right for you. First, contact Kevin for a free consultation to learn more about his services and the adoption process. Kevin will provide the Kansas or Missouri adoption information you need to decide whether you are ready to take the next step.
- Complete the home study. An adoption home study is legally required for every adoption in Kansas and Missouri. The home study ensures that your home is safe and your family is ready to care for a newborn. Kevin can explain this process and refer you to a qualified home study provider in your state.
- Find an adoption opportunity. If you have not found an adoption opportunity and need help finding a potential birth mother to adopt from, Kevin can refer you to one of the adoption agencies he partners with for assistance in this process.
- Get to know the expectant mother. When a pregnant woman considering adoption selects you as potential adoptive parents for her child, you will have the opportunity to get to know her through pre-placement contact, including mediated phone calls and possibly in-person visits.
- Welcome your new baby at the hospital. When the baby is born, you will travel to the hospital to meet him or her for the first time. The prospective birth mother will have a hospital plan in place, so you will know how much time you will be spending with her and the baby when the big day arrives. Kevin will be working closely with you during this time to obtain the necessary consents and the order of temporary custody so the baby can be discharged to you from the hospital. For interstate adoptions, he will also complete the ICPC process and notify you when you are approved to take your new baby home.
- Finalize the adoption. Following a post-placement supervision period, Kevin will arrange your finalization hearing. You will appear in court with Kevin to formally finalize the adoption, get a picture with the judge, and celebrate your newly completed family.
The adoption process is an exciting and rewarding time for every adoptive family, but it can also be stressful and chaotic at times. Having a dependable and experienced partner to rely on throughout the process can provide the peace of mind you need to fully enjoy your adoption experience.
To learn more about private adoption in Kansas City and the services Kevin can offer your family, contact him today to schedule your free consultation.