As a parent, your goal is always to protect your children and to do what is in their best interests. Part of that is planning for their future, even after you are gone.
With the help of an estate planning attorney, you can prepare for the worst-case scenario and ensure that no matter what, your children will continue to live the type of life you want for them. Kansas City estate planning lawyer Kevin Kenney can help you plan the future you want for your child, complete with all of the stability, permanence and opportunities you hope to provide for them — even if you are not physically able to provide it.
Not a parent? Not a problem. Estate planning is important for every individual, whether or not they have dependents to provide for. Working with a wills, trusts and estates attorney is the only way you can ensure your property goes to the right parties upon your death. No matter how big or small your estate is, estate planning can give you the peace of mind that everything will be handled smoothly — just in case.
Curious? Read on to learn more about the benefits of estate planning and the services Kevin offers as an estate planning attorney in Kansas City. However, please remember: This information is not intended to be and should not be taken as legal advice. Please schedule a consult with our legal team for personalized estate planning advice.
What Does a Wills, Trusts and Estates Lawyer Do?
Estate planning is unique to every person. Exactly what you need in your estate plan will vary based on your property, dependents and more.
Usually, however, there are a few key areas that an estate planning lawyer can help you with:
- Wills, which outline what property you want going where after you have died
- Trusts, which allow you to appoint a middleman to manage your beneficiaries’ inheritance
- Power of attorney, which designates your wishes in the case of an illness, injury or other circumstance that prevents you from managing your own affairs
- Guardianship, which allows you to appoint a particular person to care for your children after your death
Why Do You Need an Estate Lawyer?
At this point, you probably have one big question: If I can find estate planning forms online, why do I need a Kansas or Missouri estate planning attorney?
Many people tend to think of financial and tax attorneys as optional — but that’s the worst way to look at it. Instead, think of it this way: You are working to ensure the future of your estate and, if you have children, your family. Why would you leave that up to chance with a free document you find online?
No matter your personal situation, an estates attorney is a non-negotiable when it comes to estate planning. Not only will working with a legal professional make the process go so much smoother, it will also provide protection you will not otherwise find.
Here are just a few of the reasons why a wills, trusts and estates attorney is so important in this legal process:
- Adherence to unique state laws: Many estate planning “forms” found online are generic. They can’t possibly take into account every state’s unique laws. But, when you work with a Missouri or Kansas estate planning attorney, you can know your documents meet every state requirement to make them valid and effective. Your loved ones won’t be surprised after your death to find out that your will is missing important designations or signatures.
- Prevention of future legal fees and complications: If you don’t do estate planning the right way the first time, your family could be forced to pay additional fees and expenses when it comes to delegating your property in accordance to your will. Don’t leave it up to them to fix your mistakes; hire a tax and estate planning attorney at the start to make sure everything is completed properly.
- Sorting of complex family or financial situations: We know families can be complicated. Sometimes, these complications can make estate planning more difficult — especially if you don’t have an attorney for estate law by your side. Working with an attorney can help you navigate the additional steps required for multiple marriages, business ownership, disabled or incapacitated loved ones, and more.
Why Choose Kevin Kenney as Your Estate Planning Attorney in Kansas City
As an estate planning attorney in Kansas City, Kevin Kenney can help you complete all of the necessary steps to create a plan for your family’s future. Kevin and his legal team have guided many families and individuals through the same process you’re considering now. When you choose his law firm, you can know that your estate is in the hands of an experienced family estate lawyer — and that your needs and wishes will be met after your death.
His estate planning services include:
- Providing the information you need about estate planning so you can make the best decisions for your family
- Ensuring your estate plan adheres to all Kansas or Missouri laws and follows established legal procedures
- Walking you through each step of the legal process to create your will, trust, powers of attorney, and more
- Filing the necessary paperwork to ensure your estate plan is completed according to your wishes
- Making updates to your estate plan when you experience a major life event, such as the addition of a new child, a move to a new home or a change in occupation
- And more, based on your individual situation
For more information on our services, or to hire Kevin as your Kansas City estate planning lawyer today, please call our offices at 913-371-8008 or schedule a consultation online.